Travel with Steam Incorporated north from Kapiti via the spectacular Manawatu Gorge for a big day out to the Spring Fling in Central Hawkes Bay Regions. This is a rare chance to travel on the rail line east of Woodville which opened just on 130 years ago.
The first part of the trip will be hauled by one of our steam locomotives. After travelling through the spectacular Manawatu Gorge at Woodville our restored diesel locomotive will take over to haul the train onto Waipukurau and back to Woodville. Woodville back to Kapiti will be steam hauled.
The train will include an open air viewing platform and a buffet counter selling burgers, sausages, sandwiches, drinks and snacks, and a souvenir counter for all sorts of railway and steam memorabilia. A refreshment stop will also be made at Woodville on the return journey. You are welcome to bring your own food onboard.
Other highlights of the rail journey include travelling over many viaducts including the famous curved Ormondville Viaduct and passing through the restored Ormondville Station Precinct. The first part of the Ormondville Station building was opened in 1880.
New Gold Class. Travel in our latest carriage which is fitted out as a club car. Plush sofa seating (inwards facing), some table seating, tinted windows and your own servery. Limited seating. $55 surcharge applies. Includes complimentary welcome drink, morning and afternoon tea or coffee.
At Waipukurau the following options are available:
Option 1 – New Beginnings Spring Exhibition
- Visit to Artmosphere Gallery to see their new exhibition, gallery and sculpture garden.
- Transfers from Waipukurau Station included.
- Adult $7. Child no charge.
Option 2 – Pukeora Estate & Vineyard for Lunch
- BBQ lunch at Pukeora with stunning rural views provide a backdrop looking out over the vineyard, down the river and across the plains to the mountains beyond. Bus transfers from railway station included. $30.
Option 3 – Taniwha Daffodil Display
- Daffodils are available for picking, proceeds from the sale of these go to Plunket. Enjoy the display of many hundreds of daffodil varieties, planted in a 20 acre park-like setting, amongst mature trees and ponds. Delicious takeaway barista coffee and tea can be purchased from the "coffee shed," on site. Bus transfers provided. Adult $7, Child no charge.
Option 4 – Waipukurau Own Arrangements
- Just enjoy a full day of nostalgic rail travel. Two hours at Waipukurau for you to explore the township which is adjacent to the railway station. Waipukurau celebrates its 150th Anniversary in October.
- Return train fares ex Kapiti Stations are Adult $149 & Child $99. $10 less if boarding at Levin or $30 less at Palmerston North.
Book this adventure now!
Get the full Steam into Spring Excursion to Waipukurau timetable, conditions of travel and manual booking form.
Download a booking form [PDF, 532 KB].
Find out more information about the Central Hawkes Bay's Spring Fling. (external link)